Why this trip?
The Lake District has long been a favourite destination for landscape photographers. The beauty and variety of the scenery is well-known to most of us. We wanted to do something different though. What about a four-day Drone Photography Masterclass with one of the most widely published landscape photographers alive today, who has been selling his traditional photographs of the Lakes for two decades, who is now also a PfCO-qualified drone pilot?
Which is why we are so excited to announce these two Masterclasses to the Lake District with Alan Copson, who has been earning a living taking beautiful landscape and travel photographs ever since he left University. Alan took the front cover photos for all of these Lonely Planet and Rough Guide books – London; Andalucia; New York; the Highlands and many more, featured top left on this page. Check out some of his other images at http://www.alancopsonpictures.com/
Basing ourselves at the excellent Borrowdale Hotel just south of Derwent Water, each day we will visit an iconic Lake District photographic location, and seek to put a twist on it by photographing it from a drone, rather than from the ground. Each day, Alan will show us images he has taken over the years in the locations we are going to visit that day. Discussing composition and everything else that went into capturing images that capture the imagination. Next, he will show us the drone images he has taken over the last twelve months, in these very same locations. Then, whilst on location, he will support and guide you to ensure you capture the very best photos and video you can with your drone. We hope you will also see new possibilities in each location, and capture a unique image all of your own.
The Lake District has so many Lakes for a reason. It can be known to rain. But in truth, it rarely rains all day. We will remain flexible with timings each day, in order to avoid any rain that may fall. Equally, we will have our £6,000 Matrice 200 drone with us, which is entirely waterproof. Clients will be welcome to fly and film using this during this Masterclass. We have captured some striking images with this drone when flying it in the rain. After all, many great ground-based photographs have been taken when the weather appeared to be against us. And if we decide to head back to base, Alan will be leading post-production Masterclasses in Lightroom and iMovie, which will also offer an invaluable insight into his craft as a professional photographer.
- Daily landscape and drone-photography masterclasses with Alan Copson, Lonely Planet’s go-to choice for cover images and Lake District photography expert
- Maximum group size 6
- Expert flying support from a PhantomFlightSchool PfCO qualified pilot
- Ensuite single-occupancy accommodation at the excellent Borrowdale Hotel
- Full Cumbrian breakfast each morning
- All transport during the trip in our comfortable minibus
- Fly our waterproof £6,000 Matrice 200 drone if it is raining
- Post-production in Lightroom / Photoshop / iMovie, if the weather is poor
- Exclusive access to fly our drones from the lake front grounds of the Lodore Falls Hotel (sister hotel to Borrowdale).
What’s not included:
- Meals & drinks not mentioned
- Ferry tickets for getting around Derwent Water (not expensive!)